10 Steps to make your home moving haslle free
1.Get a piece of paper and count all the large items in your home by name. Example: 42 in’ plasma TV – 2, Queen sized beds – 2 mattresses and 2 box springs. Yes this takes time, but it’s worth it to cut down on time which also cuts down on the price.
2. Take a box of the size you think you will use to pack. Put as many small items in the box as will safely fit. Take the same box room to room and think about how many items will fit in the box. Write down how many boxes will be needed for each room. For example: Master bedroom – 6 boxes. You will use this information when talking to a mover.
3. Go to the garage and perform steps one and two.
4.Go outside to the front, back and side yards and make the same estimates.
5. Look online and in the front phone book for movers. Check sources like Yellow pages where many budget movers will list themselves. Ask friends to recommend a mover to you. Start with a list of 10 movers. Check your state moving licensing departments to see which of the movers on your list are licensed. The advanced search will give you some idea of past complaints. Expect some problems because few moved are perfect. Movers may be using independent contractors who may not be used for your move. The research is simply to inform you. High cost movers may have the best service because they have the money to fully finance the move. Can you afford high cost movers? Can you are NOT to have a high cost mover? Only you can make that decision. If you budget is limited, your best defense is to be educated. Next to each mover write what you think is important. Write down the budget for your move. Will you pack yourself? When do you plan to move? Now you know what needs to be moved, how much of each item, a list of movers that you have researched, and how much you can spend on each move. How will you finance the move? Cash? Check? Credit Card? What type of credit card?
6. Call the list of movers. If you are not satisfied with your list, call another set of 5 movers. Repeat if necessary. Narrow you’re your selection.
7. Use colored paper or post-it type notes to label each large item and box. Do not depend on writing on boxes because other writing may confuse the movers. Make each room of the home have its own color code. For example, the master bedroom may be all blue. Use tape to securely fix the post-it type note in places where the items will not be damaged by the tape. Some movers who pack for you will use the same color coding system. Keep fragile items together and mark their boxes clearly and in very large letters.
8. Decide what the most important item that you want to move. If your concern is a huge TV or a grandma’s heirloom chair, make sure you remind the team of your focus. The team may be focused on moving the grand piano in the living room, but if you are concerned about grandma’s chair, your stress level will rise until your moving need is met. Sometimes couples differ in what is important. Talk to each other and make sure your crew leader knows that each of you have a specific worry. Remember children have worries during a move and keep their important items also at the top of you focus list.
9. Remember that offering water, Gatorade-type, and tea refreshments are acceptable. Offering alcohol to crews is not acceptable hospitality. Save that offering to friends, family and other personal acquaintances. Mind altering substances may cause problems during your move. I have been offered before, but I declined, reluctantly….
10. If you like the service you received from a mover, leave them an online comment. Anyone can complain, but encouragement takes a few words like “Great job”, “Thanks.” In your comment, say exactly what you liked about the move. “You guys showed great care when moving my items.” “I really you all’s speed and professionalism during my move.”, “Great job, Great price.” These are ways to leave positive comments. The work is hard but rewarding. Many movers actually enjoy helping others and helping solve moving challenges. Let your movers know they performed well.
Euro Movers World Wide is providing customized moving and packing services to their clients/customers. Contact us to get a free quotation.